Instead of using these vital funds for poverty alleviation, they want to divert $375 million towards processing asylum seekers – effectively balancing their books on the backs of the world’s poorest people.
But it may be worse: sources say that the real figure stolen from the poor could be over half a billion dollars.
“The Gillard government has made itself the third largest recipient of foreign aid”
That’s not what foreign aid is for.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Call Wayne Swan’s office on (02) 6277 7340.
- Find out if your local MP is a Labor MP and call them (find out here and search for their website), or call Foreign Minister Bob Carr on (02) 6277 7500.
- Call Julia Gillard’s office on (02) 6277 7700.
Ask for the Chief of Staff and ensure your call is noted.
Some more news articles with further information.
- Australia to cut aid to fund asylum seeker costs
- Labor MP slams foreign aid cut
- Aid budget raided to pay for refugees
- Charities label PM a Grinch over aid cut
- Peak Body Says Plundering Aid Budget for Asylum Seeker Costs is Wrong
- Oaktree’s media release